Thursday, January 23, 2014

Bro, Do You Even Carry?



If you are reading this, you have probably considered concealed carry. Some of you probably already do. If you are still on this fence, just starting, or don't understand why someone would need to tote a gun around with them, this post is for you. Concealed carry is definitely a lifestyle choice, one you may be considering soon. It takes a bit of practice, trial and error and a heavy dose of confidence, but really not difficult at all. Hopefully this post will ease any qualms you may have.

First let me say, people that carry concealed are not paranoid. We are not out looking for a fight either. As a matter of fact we spend a great deal of time and money hoping to never have to use the skills and equipment we have. The best way I can think to explain concealed carry is to relate it to the seat belt in your car. Everyday you climb into your car and put on your seat belt. You aren't planning for an accident, you just want to be prepared for the unexpected. Concealed carry is the exact same way. You wear it everyday and hope you never have to use it. 

If you happen to be lucky enough to live in state that is gun-forward then getting your CCW license can be a very easy and painless process. In the great state of Florida, it was a simple 2 hour class, 2 shots into a catch can out of a .22 short, then 10 minutes at the Dept of Agriculture where the took my photo and fingerprints. They took all this info and submitted to Tallahassee for me and a few weeks later I was licensed to carry. The process is so easy my 70 year old father did it. Florida is a "shall issue" state so they will grant permits to damn near anybody, including people who don't even live in Florida. The proof is in that Florida alone, as of August 2013, has 1,149,836 licensed concealed carry holders. They still do the standard background checks and your prints are run and are on file with the state permanently. Also your license is good for 7 years before it needs renewal. 

Probably the most fun aspect, and the most challenging, is gun selection. This I will tell you is 100% personal. Forget the Internet commandos that tell you.45acp is the only way to go. Forget the 1911 fan boys.. Hell, screw the Glock guys too.  My first carry gun was a Taurus TCP chambered in .380 and only hold 6 rounds. Why? Because it was small, light, and easy to carry There seems to be a big debate over caliber. usually 9mm vs 45acp (then you have those weird .40s&w people).

Now that I have been carrying for a bit, I am looking to upgrade to a compact 9mm. I am looking for more firepower (both cartridge size and capacity) and more options for accessories. Things to consider when choosing a carry gun are: Size, weight, caliber, capacity, safety (with or without), holster availability, night sight availability (if that's something you want)and whether it has a rail for a light or laser. I am a smaller caliber, more capacity, no safety, night sights and  no light kind of guy. My next carry will be the Smith and Wesson M&P9c.

Now onto to the other half that most people the hardest time with: Holster selection. The method of carry and your choice of holster will make all the difference in the world. Inside the waist band, outside the waist band, appendix, ankle, shoulder, belly band, pocket and the list goes on. I recommend researching each of these and pairing it with your clothing and type of firearm you plan to carry. Personally I'm a IWB kind of guy, carried on my strong side. I feel like this gives me the greatest access to my firearm in any circumstance (standing, seated, in the car, while moving, on the ground, etc). Everyone is different however, you may find that appendix or pocket carry is a better option for you. I will say that quality holster will make all the difference. I am firm believer in Crossbreed Holsters and use one for my EDC, I also bought one for my dad.  These thin hybrid kydex/leather combos are really comfortable, have great retention and conceal very well. I can't stand the cheap nylon holsters. They have awful retention and the gun will walk right out of the holster. Don't be cheap people. You spent 600 on the hunk of metal and polymer, and you depend your life on it, so why the hell would you put it in a $10 holster? For the ladies, my wife uses the Flashbang, seen in this video. She carries a small 380 and is able to wear it with just about anything. 


So here you are, CCW license in one hand, Glock 19 in the other. Now what? Well I've said it once, so I'll say it again. TRAIN. The mandatory state class is merely a broad overview of the laws. It doesn't really teach anything in regards to the safe and proper use of a firearm. Companies that teach Concealed Carry classes are plentiful and more than likely, there is one near you. Personally, I am taking my training with Range Time Tactical. Other reputable companies would be Tactical ResponseHaley Strategic Partners and Reston Group Training If you plan on carrying, you need to do yourself and everyone else a favor and train with that firearm. Watching Youtube videos or talking with guys on the forums do not count as training. Its good to have the extra knowledge but won't realize what you don't know until someone shows you.


The most important piece of advice I can give you about carrying, is to get out of your own head. You will be paranoid. You will think everyone can see you are carrying a firearm. You'll feel the need to tug down on your shirt, put your hands in your pocket and wear overly baggy clothes. This is all normal. I want you to take a minute and tell me when was the last time you payed attention to someones shirt? Waistline? Ankle? When's the last time you discovered someone concealed carrying? Even with nearly 1.2 million CCW holders in Florida, probably never. So relax. I think people get so caught up in "printing" that they skimp on the gun and go overboard on concealment. I have a buddy that says he can't carry a pocket .380 IWB because he feels he keeps printing, yet I can feel confident in wearing my full size Beretta 92A1. The reason? I got out of my own head. I realized that even if it made a little wrinkle in my shirt, no one is paying that close attention to my shirt.I prefer not to carry that behemoth because its almost 2lbs and I have to wear a pant size bigger.So when you look in the mirror stop staring at the one spot.Relax. It does takes some practice and you will have to make minor adjustments to get it just right.


I implore you to do your own research, get quality gear and get trained. If you have questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to post them below. I will answer to the best of my ability.

Keep Calm and Carry On

No comments:

Post a Comment